Thursday, March 21, 2013

Living in an artful way

Lee Krasner - " I was not in a position to say I will not continue painting or I will continue painting...I am preoccupied with trying to know myself in order to communicate with others. Painting is not separate from life. It is one. It is like asking - do you want to live? My answer is yes- and I paint."
" I was not in a position to say I will not continue painting or I will continue painting...
I am preoccupied with trying to know myself in order to communicate with others.
Painting is not separate from life. It is one. It is like asking - do you want to live?
My answer is yes- and I paint."
-Lee Krasner


While browsing through pinterest, I came upon this pin.
Lee's quote about working perfectly describes how I feel about creating art.
And although, I find it a bit unoriginal to say, I don't know anything else.

I have heard the question many times:
"Does art imitate life or does life imitate art?"
I think that is a silly question because for me they are one in the same.
Art is more a way of life than that of a mere skill to be practiced (although it does require persistence and practice, obviously). I think, for many artists/crafters, it is a necessity, it is a way of finding and learning about oneself. It is so much more than just making something. I am fascinated with how life and the world around us can be interpreted through art. Sometimes it is tangible, sometimes it really is not, but whatever it may be it is a way of evolving, learning and discovering both what is known and unknown.
Art, like life, is so simple and so complex.

I find art to be such a simple word for such a broad scope. It covers styles, techniques, materials and mediums, but I feel like it goes much deeper than that. I feel that art can cover everything pertaining to existence right down to a breath, seeds sprouting and pushing up through the heavy earth, the way snowflakes are formed, the sound of waves crashing on rocks, and even the simple act of an everyday human routine. Everything we do can be interpreted artistically, even routine. Routines are part learned, part comfort, part emotion and part expression of that moment in the day. I love to observe routines. I find that routine, much like prayer, is a way to focus, reflect and organize the art of everyday and make it tangible, or make a path from one artistic form to another of artistic expression.

Every minute of the day is an opportunity to live in an artful way.
I hope you are enjoying it!
xo

1 comment:

  1. Very nice and true words, I totally agree with you. We can find art in the most little moment of our day.
    I do love to try and find the art and the magic every day, but sometimes I forget :)

    Have a great time!

    Lluisa x

    ReplyDelete